Friday, March 27, 2015

My Letter to Todd Akin

On August 19, 2012 Missouri Representative Todd Akin made this comment...



On September 3, 2012 I sent this e-mail via his website...

Dear Representative Akin,
     
I feel it has been a sufficient amount of time to let the hullabaloo die down so that I might be heard above the din. I am writing to you about your comments - and I quote...

“It seems to me, from what I understand from doctors, that’s really rare. If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down."

First off, It seems to me that you must have a mother? a Wife? or a female that has touched your life in some significant way? If not, some sense of shared humanity?

How could you say something like that?

I mean "deep down" in your conscience, how can you say something like that?

If it were me, and I'm not suggesting this for you, I would drop out of politics, pack everything I had in a rucksack, and spend the remainder of my days apologizing to every woman that I came across.

Rape is such a vicious violent act and damages not only the victim, but the foundation upon which our society is built. How anyone could try to mitigate this act because of some misguided political belief is simply bewildering.

I hope that you can find it in your heart to renounce the horrific things you have said in a sincere way and make amends - if that is possible, and in the future choose your conscience above your politics.

Sincerely,
L.M. Little

Akin apologized but rebuffed calls to withdraw from the election.

He was defeated by Claire McCaskill by 54.7% to 39.2%.

In a 2014 book, Akin said he regretted apologizing and defended his original comments.


No comments:

Post a Comment