Friday, July 10, 2015

Hydrophobia (Poem)

Between October 1977 and February 1980, seven regional floods occur in Arizona and Phoenix is declared a disaster area three times. There are 18 fatalities and approximately $310 million in property damage.

November 1978: Floodwaters virtually destroy the community of Allenville near Buckeye and cause heavy damage in Holly Acres on the Gila River and Hound Dog Acres on the Agua Fria River. The Salt River has a peak flow of 140,000 cubic feet per second. Damage is estimated at $51.8 million.

February 13-25, 1980: Another flood occurs that has the greatest impact on the largest number of residents in Arizona history. 6 storms during 9 days move from the Pacific Ocean into southern California and Arizona. Daily rainfall quantities in Arizona are not extraordinary, but the total volume of runoff far exceeds the available reservoir capacity. The peak discharge of the Salt River is 170,000 cubic feet per second, which is greater than any previous flow since 1905. The flood causes $80 million in damage.


Hydrophobia


my small hand
slid like a fish
from my father's
grasp

I remember
darkness
then light
then the
awful sick
feeling of
water filling
my stomach
and lungs…

my father liked
to swim in the
flumes that carry
water in elevated
tubes above the
creosote &
mesquite trees
of the Arizona
desert

it was a
momentary
fumbling

a slipped knot
from the tether
of childhood
delusions
of safety &
permanence

the water was
a fiend -
smothering
me in the void

a wraith -
dragging
me down
into
suffocating
oblivion

but for all that,
it was the flood of
February 1980
that unleashed
hydrophobia
upon me

like a child
trampled
beneath
horses hooves

the ancient
instinctual
fear of drowning

from amniotic memories

to the cutting
of the cord

the ceaseless
spinning
of the thread
by the Moirae

from birth
to death
the fragile
twine of our
mortality

serrated

I remember
waking in the
darkness...

my father's
panicked
voice...

slipped
from my
bed and
stepped
into water

(my toys
and memories
swept away)

a wrong turn
on a darkened
road

water rushing into
the vehicle

my father fighting
the current

my mother
passing me
to my father

who waded in
again and pulled
my mother out

before the car
was swept away
by the torrent
of water

and we huddled
together on the bank
until dawn
cold and afraid
and we listened as the water
roared past

The man who
owned the zoo
animals

chimpanzees

lions

had to shoot
the poor beasts
rather than
let them drown

I wouldn't
know
that until
I was older

reminiscing
with my
father about
the man
we called
"The Zookeeper"

& how I used
to spend hours
looking into
those cages

the Zookeeper took
in old zoo
& circus
animals

I would hear
a lion roar

across the desert
at night

a wild jungle
of my imagination

swept away
by the hand
of God

After the flood
receded
and we left
the Red Cross
cots behind
and returned
home

I wouldn't take
a shower inside

(claustrophobic
nightmares)

my parents tried

God knows

they tried

but I screamed
and cried
myself hoarse

pale with panic

until my father
could take it
no more

and carried me
outside

with a bar of soap

and we showered
outside
in the hose

under the calm

blue

sky

with the wind
whistling
through the pine
tree

and the smell
of the orange
trees

and my dog

Major

bringing
rocks
for me
to throw
for him

…and the silence

of the lions

and the chimpanzees

and the other
families
of Hound Dog
Acres

who had not
returned

I looked
to my father

his frame
blocking
out the
sun

and I took
my place
in his shadow

and tried
to find
that elusive
path to
the way that
things used to
be

When you are
very young
and very
afraid -
something
in the mind
is broken

or becomes
brittle

and will break

with the 1,000
traumas to come

those stress fractures
become

the anxieties

the irrational
fears

the things
that hold us
back…

I made a separate
peace with the
ocean years
later

bodysurfing
in the storm
driven sea

and as I
tumbled
in the waves

I relaxed

I felt the wounds
that can never
heal

and I felt
the arthritic
ache of
injuries
long forgotten

I thought of
the water
and how I
had once
been afraid

I thought of
my childhood
home and how
it had been
submerged

like Atlantis

and washed
away
like the dusty
memories

of an old man

I thought of
things unspoken

of wrongs
not righted

of the ravages
and distance
of time

how we alight
upon each
others lives

from time
to time

expecting
things
to be the same

- as if time

itself

was something
we could control

looking past the
complexities
of experience
that move us
inexorably
towards
our becoming

and when the
wave had passed
I emerged

from the sea

and stared
across the
wide unknown
sky and imagined
the continents

stretching out beyond

the horizon

and I sat
in the sand

and I began
to feel better



Kingman Daily Miner - February 18, 1980


No comments:

Post a Comment