Saturday, November 21, 2015

The Elegiac Bitterness of Orange Peels (Remastered)

The Elegiac Bitterness of Orange Peels 


was it 4th grade?

no, wait ...

(counts on fingers)

6, 7, 8, illinois, florida

6th grade

it was 6th grade!

has it really been twen-ty sev-en years?

(whistles)

the memories come
in flashes

fragmented - dis - jointed
but vibrant
full of tastes
& smells
& weather


she was my first true love
father dismissed it
as "puppy love"

it wasn't

it was ...

if i stood in the
dead center
of america
threw my head back
and reached out the tips
of my fingers
i could never
touch the ocean


like that ...

it felt like that


she had dark hair
- dark eyes
she was shorter
than I was

I was all gangly
arms back then
like a puppet with
tangled strings
constantly tripping
over my shoelaces
yearning for grace

(whisper) those eyes

i was at the
mogollon rim once


- on a family
camping trip
staring down at the
city lights at night
the valley lit like
a celestial sea


dumbstruck


like that ...

her eyes were like that


her hair was dark brown
with streaks of
natural highlights
that reminded me
of heather
floating lazily across
a warm summer
afternoon


the amber sadness
of late day
descending


like that ...


she had a boyfriend
at the time

he said something
awful to her

i stood up - pushed him
against the wall
said something about
how i didn't
understand why
girls chose "jerks"
like him

slowly became aware
i had an audience

she looked at me
for the first time
that day

- her head tilted
slightly

i stomped off
across the grass
to the backstop
at the edge
of the field
and sat down
upon the bench
my heart pounding
in my chest

trying to steady
my hands

i had been
watching her
all year

her cherry lip gloss
her glitter eyeliner

the way her eyes narrowed
when she smiled

the way the sunshine
shined in her hair ...

and now she knew
who i was

no mistaking that

and then i saw
her envoy of friends
coming towards me

(smiled to myself)

and that was it
- we were
boyfriend/girlfriend
after that

when i think
back upon it now
i wince at my
awkwardness

i may have said
three paragraphs
aloud the entire
time we went out


dumbstruck

we communicated
mainly through notes

her handwriting was all
loops and soft curves
with hearts over her i's

the paper smelled like
cherry lip gloss

i was still living
deep inside my
heart back then
and could only
respond by copying
Duran Duran lyrics


 took me forever

i had to keep
rewinding
and pausing
the tape


holding her hand
was so
in-des-cribable

(warm shiver)

i could breathe
free and clear

- a respite
from the
suffocating
darkness
when we were
apart

her small hand
fit so well in
mine

as if made
expressly
for that purpose

one day during lunch,
as we held hands,
i looked at her

and she looked
at me

and everything
else - the noise of
the cafeteria - the
upheavals of early
childhood - the
awkwardness
of adolescence

all just faded
away like blurry
monotonous landscape

and in that second

i felt as if we were
the only two people
that existed

and that somehow

if i could freeze time
and exist in that
temporal moment
forever

our love would
never end ...

then we had to
let go to wipe
our sweaty palms



our separate home rooms
merged for movies
from time to time
and we would sit in the
back - in the darkness

holding hands

with the clackety-clack
of the projector
and me looking
up and wishing
the reel would
never end


she was in the school
choir and so naturally
i - being tone deaf
and cripplingly shy
- joined as well

but i didn't need
much convincing,
maybe a little
cherry lip gloss smile
or an errant
piece of glitter
on her face

it was christmastime
and to this day
i cannot hear
Rockin Around the Christmas Tree
or
Jingle Bell Rock
without thinking about
that time

(skipped heartbeat)

i'm left with a permanent
nostalgia for christmas
one not diminished
by age or the passage
of time


we were supposed
to go carolling
on a hay ride
that night

it was late december
and there was frost
on the palm fronds

my father drove
and picked her
and her friend
up at her house
in litchfield park

so it was my father -
me - her - and her friend
crammed in the front
seat of mt father's
pick-up truck

my father blasted
his stale music
trying to embarass
me - i think it was
Herman's Hermits
or something like that

and he sang
- loudly and badly

and i was mortified

but they just laughed
and i relaxed

... a little

her friend grabbed
my arm and put
it around my
girlfriend's shoulders

and after a bit
she pushed my hand
down the front
of my girlfriend's shirt

i pulled my hand
out immediately

and everybody
laughed

... except me

she just looked at
me and shrugged
her shoulders

and then we arrived ...

that night lives
on so vividly
in my memory

it was so cold

and she was so pretty

and the white lights
in the palm trees
and the horse drawn
wagon clip-clopping
through the streets



it's the kind
of memory
so beautiful
it makes your
heart ache to
think of it

we were like two
birds whose wing tips
touch for one fine
moment - swirling
in the clear blue
sky that stretches
out to infinity

it was
in a word

per-fect

my father picked
us up and drove
us back to her house

i got out with her

it was so cold
that night

the air so crisp

we kissed against
a fence post

under the blue
glow of a winter's
moon

my first kiss

and right then
i felt as if
i could die


my father and i
drove home

me in a daze

filled with

electricity

everything
changed after
that - swept
along mighty
streams never
to see the same
shores again


i don't know
how it ended

or why

when i try
to remember
my heart
closes the door
and will not
let me see

the next school year
began and she was
in my homeroom
and i said something
awful to her

something i wished
a thousand times
over i could take back

but life isn't
always like that

not everything
wraps up so
neatly with a bow

we're meant to carry
some things in our
hearts - some
memories

some regrets


i didn't date
anyone else
for about
seven years

all the way through high school

when we broke up
i sat alone in the
cafeteria eating
orange peels


she's married now

as am i

and she has a daughter

we've never spoken

i hope that she is
happy and that we
didn't hurt each
other too badly

sometimes on nights
i cannot sleep
i think about
how we cannot
truly know love
without first
knowing heartache

how we carry
both the scars
and memories
of days long past

and how we're
never really complete

always in a state
of becoming

always reaching for those
times when our hearts

were wild and free

undaunted

by the fury of storms

and the cruelty

of weather


1/23/2012

1 comment: