Monday, June 19, 2017

Where have I heard that voice?

Where have I heard that voice?


So, I was working at the bookshop last night and we were hosting a big event for something called "Discovery Friday" - a more civilized version of Black Friday, and we had several authors (4-5 I think) at various points around the store. I heard one of them speak in a deep, rich baritone as I passed his station which was piled high with a beautiful book called "Finding Moosewood, Finding God". I though to myself, where have I heard that voice before? Then I remember a DVD that I have. I used to own this DVD in the original VHS format. I consider it an essential part of my Hemingway collection.



For those of you who don't know, A&E stands for Arts & Entertainment. This network used to have a wonderful program called "Biography", before it descended into reality television hell. This program was introduced by a man named Jack Perkins.



He was so well known at the time that he received one of our nation's highest honors - he was caricatured on SNL.



Anyway, when I realized who he was I was really excited and asked if he could autograph a copy of his book, which he gladly did.


I geek out over the strangest things. Oh, the Hemingway Biography was hosted by Marielle Hemingway, who also came to my bookshop.



That combined with the letter I received from A.E. Hotchner, who is also on the Hemingway Biography, is about as close as I'll ever get to the man himself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment