Sunday, September 2, 2018

Mike, Gina & Zoe's Home Cookin' Episode 4: Fish Curry


Before we get started, let's talk a bit about names. My name is Zoe.


As you can see, I am a cat.

I am the Little's cat.

Scratch that.

Literally.

I am a member of the Little Family.

The other members of my family are Mike and Gina. To other cats, I would call them "Litter Scooper" and "Food Bestower" respectively.

Cat language is not like human language. Whereas you have a lot of words that mean the same thing, we have one word that means many things depending on tone and inflection and a plethora of body language.

That word is "Meow".

For the purposes of this blog, and because you mostly just see their hands, I will refer to them as "The Large Hairy One" and "The Small One".

I want to tell you something important.

Are you ready?

All cats have secret names for their humans.

My secret name for The Large Hairy One aka Litter Scooper is "A Warm Place To Sleep".

My secret name for The Small One aka Food Bestower is "A Ray Of Sunshine".

...

Today's recipe is...

Fish Curry


Ingredients:

Turmeric Powder
Paprika
Fish Sauce
1 Onion
2 Tomatoes
2 Dried Red Chiles
Dried Curry Leaves
Garlic Paste
Ginger Paste
Limes
Cilantro
Canned Coconut Milk
Grape Seed Oil
1 quart of Chicken Broth
2-3 pounds of Cod

Lay your Cod out on a large cookie pan lined with paper towels.


Pat dry.


In a small mixing bowl add...

4 teaspoons of Turmeric Powder.


4 tablespoons of Fish Sauce.


A splash of water.


Mix to a paste consistency.

Spread paste over both sides of the fish and let sit to marinate for at least 15 minutes.



In a food processor....

Add 1 onion rough chopped.



2 teaspoons of Garlic Paste.


2 Tablespoons of Ginger Paste.


2 Red Chile Peppers. These can be dried. How spicy your curry soup will be is in direct proportion to how many seeds you put in. More seeds = spicier curry and vice versa.


Blitz.


Put a large soup pot on medium heat and add 1 tablespoon of Grape Seed Oil.


Add the onion/chile mixture and fry for 2-3 minutes until fragrant.


Add 1/2 teaspoon of Paprika.


Add Dried Curry Leaves.


Add two Tomatoes. These should be cut into large chunks.


Add 1 quart of Chicken Broth.


Add 1 can of Coconut Milk.


Cut the Cod into good sized chunks and add. It will cook in the curry.


Serve over rice or cauliflower rice.

Squeeze some lime in.

Rough chop some Cilantro and add as a finishing touch.


Delicious!

In my last blog post (Here) I mentioned that there was another cat here before me. 

I noticed at my desk a photograph of the large hairy one when he was less hairy and a small cat on his shoulder. 


I have heard them call her name "Chooch". I shall call her Meow (She Who Is Not Forgotten). 

I had a family once.

And then I didn't.

For a long time I was in a room where I had food and shelter, but I didn't have "A Ray Of Sunshine" or "A Warm Place To Sleep".

And then I did.


They call me "Zoe", but I have another name that I call myself.

A secret cat name.

Meow.

It means, "I Am Loved".


Until next time. Eat well my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment